We are all about healthy eats, but sometimes a hot fudge sundae or banana split with the works is to die for. But sadly, this literally happened after three people ate contaminated ice cream.

Five people in Kansas were infected, with three of these cases fatal, when people ate ice cream from the brand Blue Bell Creameries.

The patients who were treated at Via Christi St. Francis hospital between December 2013 and January 205 fell ill with listeriosis, a bacteria infection caused by Listeria monocytogenes that damages the nervous system and causes a blood infection.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the patients ate milkshakes that had a serving of the “Scoops” form Blue Bell, which the FDA found had traces of listeria in several samples.

Blue Bell recalled the products which include half gallon, quarts, pints, cups and three gallon ice cream of the frozen ice cream. Listeria was found in their Chocolate Chip Country Cookies, Great Divine Bars, Sour Pop Green Apple Bars, Cotton Candy Bars, Scoops, Vanilla Stick Slices, Almond Bars and No Sugar Added Moo Bars.

It was the first time the Texas-based company recalled products in 108 years, citing a machines as the cause of contamination.

“Anytime is one too much,” Blue Bell CEO Paul Kruse says. “This is the only thing we do: We make and sell ice cream. It’s who we are and we’ve got to do it right.”

Make sure to avoid consuming the ice cream for the moment or opt for healthier options like yogurt with fresh fruit.

The CDC says listeria is the third leading cause of death from food poisoning, and affects 1,600 Americans each year.

Advertisements