By Sarah Baker for Discover and Play
If you don’t have an inkling by now, I have a great affinity for zucchini. I showcased my zucchini stew, and zucchini pasta recipes, and am now using the versatile veggie as the base for a “zucchini boat” recipe. Zucchini keeps you warm and grounded throughout the crisp fall days, and is great for adding texture and earthy flavors to a meal.
This zucchini boat recipe can be great for entertaining, for a side dish, or even as a main. Make this recipe if you want to reap the benefits of a slew of healing properties such as aiding in the synthesis of fatty acids, metabolizing proteins and carbs, protection against oxidative stress, and more.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
•Cooked brown rice or farro
•Feta cheese (or nutritional yeast if you are vegan)
•2 tbsp olive oil
•6 medium sized zucchinis
•1 tbsp coconut oil
• Sprinkle of each: mint, oregano, basil, himalayan salt, and pepper
- Heat an oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the 6 zucchinis in half, and scoop out the center with a spoon, or knife
- Dice the innards of the zucchini and mix with the grain, seasonings, and feta cheese
- Line a baking dish with tin foil and olive oil, then set the zucchini shells in a row
- Fill the zucchini shells with your mixture, then top each mixture with kalamata olives
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden-brown
- Once out of the oven, drizzle with olive oil, squeeze some lemon over each boat, sprinkle some extra mint, and serve.
If you do not have already cooked brown rice, make the rice ahead of time by simmering in water for about 20-30 minutes. Every time I use seasonings, I never really measure them. For new chefs in the kitchen, measuring every ingredient and seasoning can be tedious and time consuming for recipes like this. Some recipes are crucial and need measurements, but the majority of the recipes shared on Balanced Babe are meant to be quick and easy to make.
Bio (Can Post as DEK): Sarah Baker is a holistic health, nutrition and Image consultant focused on bringing vitality and balancing to her clients. Her consulting practice, Style Body Soul LLC, offers numerous programs suitable for various lifestyles, and her blog; Balanced Babe, focuses on nourishing recipes and daily tips to leading a vibrant fulfilling life. You can also stay motivated to be healthy by using her plant-based dining guide: Eat Healthful.