I was deep in an underworld of slumber, following behind someone guiding me through empty rooms that were a mix between a factory and a school in video game like realm, jumping up and scaling pipes and ducking against walls 007 style, when my alarm went off. It was 6 a.m.
I made myself a promise last night that for remaining 9 days until my Spartan Race I would dedicate myself to getting in the best shape I can be in before this race. My half marathon last week taught me that preparation is key and I want to finish my training for this race strong. Determined for greatness, or simply crossing my next fitness goal finish line, I plan on giving it my all in my workouts the next few days. That means rising early to fit in quick runs before work and then hitting the gym after work for weight lifting.
As much as my eyes didn’t want to open, my muscles move, or my mind return to reality, I sat up, firmly putting my feet on the ground in an attempt to intimidate my monster of laziness away.
I shook the early morning lazzies away and killed it outside under the half twilight lit sky. My spirits began to rise as soon as I began running. The sun was so impressed that it began to rise as well, it’s smile left its cheeks blushing in rose colors as I looked out into the pale pinks, blues, and yellows being born from the blackness. (My time: 23:31 Distance: 2.04 mi Pace:11:31 min/mi)
My feel good vibes continued getting ready for work, finally able to sport some spring fashion, but didn’t stop there. I recently have found out how support from communities can truly improve mood. Combining my love for writing and fitness has led me to become active on my blog. I enjoy reading the words of my fellow bloggers, especially those with similar interests and it has become my routine to check out any comments, new posts, and the like every morning.
Just when I thought I could not have a happier morning, I found out that the Pretty Little Grub has nominated me for a Liebster award!! I lit up in excitement (after having a reaction similar to the Pam gif on Pretty Little Grub’s post) to find that this award is passed along to new bloggers and is a kind of right of passage in the blogging community.
The Liebster Award Rules:
- You must link back to the person who nominated you
- You must answer the 10 Liebster questions given to you by the nominee before you.
- You must pick 10 bloggers to be nominated for the award (with a small following)
- You must create 10 questions for your nominees
- You must go to their blogs and notify the nominees
My questions from Pretty Little Grub are:
1. What do you think is the best blog post you have ever written? The heart of the Coney Island Polar Bear Club beats on is one of my favorite pieces I have ever written. I took a break from journalism for two years and this was my first piece I wrote when I started again. I put my whole heart and soul into the writing and interviewing, braving cold mornings, but loving the amazing people I met. I was living in BK at the time and was proud to give the club some well deserved recognition. This piece was the one that got me interested in pursuing health reporting so it has been my blog post baby.
2.Which social media outlet do you like the most? Which one do you like the least? I absolutely am obsessed with Twitter (follow me @newschixoxo). It is a great tool for writers, journalists, bloggers, and the like share their work to the masses. I have “met” so many people with similar interested (#fitfam) and it provides a platform for us all to network and support each other. I learn so much by just scrolling my newsfeed and have even had the drummer of my favorite band @ me! Plus, #whodoesntlovehastags ? My least liked social media platform would have to go to MySpace. Although I haven’t seen what it looks like now because I haven’t logging in something like ten years, I think there are obvious reasons why MySpace is so 2000.
3. If you could only have three foods for the rest of your life, what would they be? My first choice hands down (don’t judge me!) would have to be anything buffalo chicken related. Something magical happens when the fiery sauce and the warm, lean protein combine to make a sultry party for my taste buds. (My mouth is watering as I write this). I could definitely live on yogurt for the rest of my life. I went through a phase in high school where I would have yogurt for lunch every single day. I never got bored of it and it’s healthy! My last choice would have to go to sweet potatoes. It has been love at first bite between us two. Mashed, baked, fries…I accept sweet potatoes in all forms.
There are 3 things to know about my dog Toby: 1. He will eat ANYTHING in sight. This includes all food, garbage, clothes, shoes, and makeup (R.I.P tinted moisturizer). 2. He is the most loving, mushy, sweet dog. 3. He looks like the flying dog-dragon from the Never Ending Story.
5.What is your biggest blogging pet peeve? That horrible moment when you are writing a post and your Internet freaks out and then you loose what you have written. Learned a long time ago to write first in Word and them copy and paste your saved work so that no words gets lost.
6. Here’s a big debate – makeup at the gym yay or nay? NAY! I hate it when girls walk in the gym as if it were a photo shoot.
7. What goal are you currently working towards – blog or life related? Now that I successfully finished a half marathon, I am now working to running one at or under 2:00:00.
8. What is your dream job? Writing about health and fitness for a major magazine.
9. Where do you want to travel to next? To the Dominican Republic! My father is getting married there next year. My two biggest loves: beaches and weddings coming together for one epic vacation? I’m all in.
10. Who is the biggest inspiration in your life? My boyfriend is a huge motivating force in my life (cue rolling of the eyes lol). He came here from Egypt and is the definition of determination. He came from nothing to starting his own website and company and has supported his family the whole entire time. He has taught me that no goal is too big and if you want something in life, with hard work, anything is possible.
Today I learned that starting the day off right can lead to a positive chain reaction! Can’t wait to read what the other nominees write!